I am thoroughly amazed.
After about three hours to Petra and not feeling good about walking a few miles to see one of the ancient wonders of the world in extremely hot weather I was definitely caught by surprise. After going to Greece and seeing such amazing things I didn't think it would be possible to see anything better than what I saw in my favorite place in the world.
We walked forever, in hot weather, through rocks that could get pretty narrow we rounded a corner and what I saw was so indescribable. My pictures will do no good for this beautiful sight of Petra. The first thing i ran across was the Treasury. The top half is actually Roman style, but the top is not. A slier showed through the rocks and then you could see the whole thing. It was huge and beautiful. As I said, it'll be hard for me to even describe. But it was so amazing.
We continued further and then we were at a tomb and a Colosseum. Obviously those weren't as exciting. And since we added the Wadi Rum trip in we didn't have as much time in Petra as we normally would. That meant I wasn't going to try to do a 40 minute hike up stairs and get back down in an hour. That would take you to the Monastery, which I would have done, but with it being hot and after already wandering around for a few hours I wasn't up for it. Half the group went and I hung out with one other guy and our ISA director and we walked back to the Treasury and sat there and watched it. I was so exhausted by the time we left and was too hot to be happy. But I made it another hour and a half to Wadi Rum. Thank God. Inshalla.
Although because we left late because people climbed up to the Monastery we didn't get to ride camels into the sunset. My romantic dream of bonding with a camel as the sun set low in the sky was shattered. Alas, Ill hamdi lila the camels were awaiting for me in the morning, thanks to our lovely ISA director who has his connections.
Sadly, I had a grumpy camel and didn't bond too much with it, since it kept trying to bite the guys leg on the camel in front of me. I mean, yeah, that was hilarious because he was afraid of my camel. Also, I wanted a picture with my camel just us after I got off, but he (or she, no idea) wasn't having it. But I did bond with the camel behind me that someone else was on. He kept putting his head up by my camel and I pet him. It was great. There was also a baby camel there. Did you hear that!? A BABY! 2. months. old. WhhhaaattT??? It was awesome! It was even tied to the other camels, it just wandered around by its mom and stuff making the cutest noises ever. It was for sure the best weekend here.
Because the night before we hung out at the camp at a fire and looked at stars and just talked with the group. We all laughed and it was just a really chill, casual time. I wouldn't have wanted it to go any other way.
Plus, dinner was delicious! They cooked it in this thing under the sand and covered it up with sand. So we watched them take it out and it was super cool. And out of all the food, I could eat everything there except one thing. It was heaven, especially for a vegetarian who has only been living off two foods.
And after the camel ride we had breakfast and then we got in the back of trucks and drove around the desert. We stopped and all but three people climbed up this HUGE sand hill. I refused, it looked too treacherous for the hot weather. (Just a reminder, for people who forget, I hate hot weather and don't feel good in it. That's why I missed out on some of the stuff, but I'm honestly okay with it). So while they did that we drank some tea at this little place and looked around at the shop. I got an incredible deal on this one item there. I bought two of them because they're SO cool! I can' tell you, because I bought one for my roommate because it totally looked her style. So yeah, you're welcome Marina. You are seriously going to love it, and we'll be continuous matching roommates. And like, I'm sad now because I haven't seen you in what feels like years. Waaa.
And then we went to a few other places where there were tribal things for hunting on some rocks. And the last stop was somewhere that Lawrence of Arabia had been. That was kind of cool, but we didn't stay long. And then we went back to the camp and packed up. But yeah, it was really the best weekend here ever. Hot and busy, but so cool. I was in love. And I'm so sad that I only have like five days left. I hate it, I do not want to leave. Like at all. Not joking. I'd live here.
And sorry for late posts, I have finals in a day. So yeah, I should probably be doing that instead. Great huh?
So I'm checking out.
Ma'salam
First sight of the Treasury
The tomb
Sunset on the rock we climbed up onto
Dinner
Cute little camel(:
I'M ON A CAMEL!
CAMEL OMG
ReplyDeleteTo think you had to travel this far to ride a camel when you could have just gone to Point Defiance Zoo. Aahh... guess this trip was better, the scenery definitely is amazing. Wish I could see Petra myself (and maybe ride a camel since I was there).
ReplyDeleteawww thank you for not spoiling my gift! hahaha miss you so much!
ReplyDelete