Friday, May 31, 2013

Welcome to the Lowest Part of the World

Today we went to the Dead Sea, which is the lowest part in the world (obviously not under water, but on the surface. So... that's cool. Before that we stopped at a Greek Orthodox church and got yelled at like three times for doing everyday normal things like talking or crossing our legs on a bench. I don't know, Arabs, man, Arabs. That's all I have to say for that. It wasn't really that exciting until we went to the other room and they started talking about other areas and the movement of them. Then we stopped at another place which the ruins were closed and couldn't get in because they were restoring them. But the view was really pretty so that was good. We also stopped at this Mosaic place that got mentally disabled people and like women and give them jobs by teaching them to make the Mosaic art pieces. Everything was so pretty I wanted to buy one but it was so expensive. While driving to the dead sea we stopped on this little hill and our van driver turned off the car as we were going up the hill and instead of rolling backwards we were slowing going forward. Like voodoo magic, I don't even know what was happening but it was really impressive. And at last, we got to the DEAD SEA! I was beyond excited. Of course, I got really motion sick in the van we were on, as Arab drivers are insane, but I made it there alive, so that is always a plus. We all got ready and ran down there and got in the water. All you can do is float and it was a REALLY weird feeling. So weird. Like I didn't even know what to do. And then we like practically rolled around in mud. IT WAS AWESOME! Like you totally take it from this place and rub it all over you and it exfoliates your skin and then you go wash it off in the really salty water and its supposed to be really great for you. The only problem was that the water is so salty that nothing can live in that ocean and that everything floats. But if you go under then you can't come back up. Which is totally freaky. That means if you have any open wounds or little cuts it'll sting like crazy. And guess what? I got some water in my hair and it ran down my face and some got in my left eye and I was dying. DYING. It was awful and so painful. I like booked it out of the water to rinse my eye out and some random guy just started spraying me with a hose. It was weird too but helped, so what can I do? But overall it was a really cool experience and we spent like an hour and a half down in the sea. Then we headed over to the pools, because we were at a Holiday Inn and played around for a while. We decided to eat dinner there and a group of 4 of us went up and ordered and got us a table big enough for us all. Everyone got their food for the most part except me. I was like ok, whatever. But then another 4 came and ordered and all but 1 of them got their food. Again, before me. So then I was a little ticked off. That was when all hell broke lose and nobody was getting anything they ordered, and it took years upon years, and there were 3 of us waiting for food. Eventually one of them got their food and after our ISA director went and yelled at the staff 5 times and still me and this other guy didn't have our food (me waiting for mine over an hour. It was now 8:30) she flat out told them that if we didn't get our food within the next five minutes we would all get up and leave without paying. Guess what? They brought our food out. Greaaaat. And they made me pay for it all and everything. So we complained to the front desk but they seriously did nothing. One girl told them I needed my money (she's so sweet and protective its adorable) and the guy was totally like no but we'll give you more food. I told him no that I didn't want their service anymore but besides that, they did nothing. So after a really awesome day hanging out at the Dead Sea and pools it turned into a mess. But its whatever, not that big of a deal. The only problem now is that I hadn't eaten for like 8 hours since lunch because my dinner took forever, therefor I have a splitting headache. It's seriously so bad. Ugh. 
But MOM, I totally stole some sand from the beach. You better love me now. 
And, my first day of classes were fine, but I'm so behind in Arabic and its really embarrassing. Like one guy told me that I really shouldn't be in that level. He wan't mean or rude about it and I didn't take it personally, but I agree. I know literally nothing. I mean, yes, I know more than the level 1 class, but I should be in the level 2 class not the 3rd. But again, whatever. I'll make it work and figure things out. So we'll see where it takes me. 
xoxoxox

(I didn't actually take any of these pictures, they came from somebody else in our group because I refused to take my camera down by the water)





3 comments:

  1. Sorry about the aweful dining and good luck with language studies.....would like to try Dead Sea thing once

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not saying anything about your sand. In the words of Schultz from show I used to watch, "I know nothing!" Hope you got some pictures and sorry about your headache. Hopefully a little sleep and some breakfast right away in the morning will help.
    At least you are enjoying the adventure and not letting it ruin your overall experience - excellent attitude to have!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, free mud bath that's worth alot!

    ReplyDelete